In order to support our business community and the operation of the Chamber, the following committees have been established:
1. SPECIAL EVENTS COMMITTEE: Includes planning Luncheons, Card Exchanges, an annual Golf Tournament, and other events of special interest to our membership, obtain outstanding speakers that might be of interest to the airport community and develop programs that afford the opportunity to network. Money raised from these events goes toward our scholarship programs.
Co-Chairpersons: Bruce Abbate (Office Worx) & Millie Amsterdam (Kellair)
Advisors to the Committee: Philippa Karteron (Council for Airport Opportunity), Bud Heaning (Corporate Loss Protection Associates and Noreen Carro (LMN Printing)
2. AIRLINE COORDINATING COMMITTEE: Reports on and addresses issues related to passenger processing, cargo handling and airline facilities at JFK.
Co-Chairpersons: Phil Jensen (Cargo Airport Services) representing Cargo and James Groark (Cathay Pacific Airways) representing Passenger Services.
3. LEGISLATION & GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS: Includes all Government Agency Items (Customs & Border Protection, TSA, FAA, USDA, etc.). Addresses Government Regulatory Issues that impact businesses at JFK.
Chairperson: Joel Ditkowsky (Freight Brokers Int’l)
4. HOTELS & CATERING COMMITTEE: Reports on and addresses issues concerning the Hotel, Restaurant, and Food Service activity in the airport community.
Chairperson: Joe Clabby
Advisor to the Committee: Olga Angelinas (ACCOMMODATIONS Plus)
5. SCHOLARSHIP & EDUCATION COMMITTEE: Oversees the Annual Ernie Davis Memorial Scholarship for children of airport employees, provides tool boxes for 5th Year Students of Aviation High School. Offers an endowed scholarship with Vaughn College of Aeronautics which allows the Chamber of Commerce to make significant, long-term scholarship awards to students who meet the Chamber’s criteria and a special scholarship program at York College with priority given to students of airport employees.
Chairperson: Al DePhillips
6. BUSINESS ACTION COMMITTEE: Addresses issues that relate to doing business at JFK.
Chairperson: Carl Soller (Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman PC)
Advisors to the Committee: Mercedes Ozcan (McBreen Kopko), Bob Arens (City Waste), Harry Wells (York College), and Richard Weber (Greater Jamaica Development Council).
7. CHAMBER SUPPORT COMMITEE: Oversees the development management of the Chamber Web Site and maintains the Community Calendar
Chairperson: Dave Sharma (Brussels Airlines)
Advisor to the Committee: Rudy Auslander (Executive Director)
8. MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: Responsible for membership drives and maintaining our membership programs
Chairperson: Robert Romanga (Airline Vending Services)
Advisors to the Committee: Dolores Hofman (ASDO), J.P Livingston (IBI Armored Services), and Joe Morro (Royal Waste)
9. NOMINATING COMMITEEE: In accordance with the Bylaws shall consist of 5 members appointed by the President and will be responsible for submitting to the Board of Directors, the nominees for election of Officers and Directors; and to fill any vacancies that may occur throughout the year.
Chairperson: James Groark (Cathay Pacific Airways)
Members: Joe Clabby, Bruce Abbate, Tom Kelliher, and Carl Soller
10. GOOD & WELFARE COMMITTEE: Was established to acknowledge and comfort local members of the airport community at times of sorrow. The committee is to send acknowledgements to comfort members and their families when there is an illness, injury or bereavement.
Chairperson: Mercedes Ozcan